City centre community composting
- 2017-05-05 10:13:39
- 6 289
- 24 allées gambetta 13001 Marseille
- Start date : novembre 2016
The Marseille Provence section of the Aix-Marseille-Provence urban authority has been developing individual and community composting for several years, as part of the "zero waste, zero wastage" scheme. The Canebière Gambetta neighbourhood association in central Marseille expressed its desire to team up with the city authorities to introduce community composters in planters in the area.
The community composting system has been operating since the end of 2016, enabling many local households to compost their organic waste and encouraging the area's residents to reappropriate public spaces.
Key project goals:
- Decrease waste in the area
- Encourage local residents to reappropriate the public domain and keep it cleaner
- Convert planters, encouraging residents and passers-by to take care of the public domain
- Create a source of compost that can be used to fill future planters or gifted to participants for their personal gardening requirements.
Stages of the initiative
As a result of high take-up within the neighbourhood association, this community composting project has been developed and implemented in public spaces.
Areas of activity
Pillar(s) of the circular economy
Technical resourcesThree bays (for compost, shredded matter and maturation, respectively) have been installed, and organic waste buckets issued to residents
Municipal compost team
Neighbourhood association volunteers
Author of the page
Chef de projet Territoire Zéro Déchet Zéro GaspillageFollow